Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Is there any new research or treatment pseudomonas?

Customer Question

Is there any new research or treatment for feline pseudomonas? What, if anything, is the best available medication at present? Thank you, ***** ***** RN
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear your cat has Psuedomonas. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Where is the infection: skin, urine, ears, nose? Has culture been done? Pseudomonas is a bacterial infection and does not infect only cats. The best treatment is to do a culture, confirm what bacteria is in the infection (there may be something along with the psueudomonas like a secondary bacterial infection, a yeast infection, etc. depending on where the infection is) and then do a sensitivity panel to determine which bacteria that psuedomonas strain is susceptible to and then use that antibiotoic until the infection is gone. It will help to know what you have tried besides Zithromax, and where this infection is. If it is a nasal infection, the problem often is that the tiny bones in the nose have been destroyed by the infection, and these cats are rarely cured; the best we can hope for is control. Using nose drops that contain Triz EDTA to breakdown the "biofilm" where these bugs hide can be helpful. Using a combination of Zithromax and another anitbiotic like Veraflox or enrofloxacin (not ciprofloxacin however) with these nose drops can help control the infection. Using doxycycline (but you have to be very careful administering doxy to cats; high risk of esophogeal strictures if the pills are not passed directly into the stomach; best to get a liquid form) for possible mycoplasma infection in a respiratory infection can also be helpful. Let me know a little more about where the infection is, how long she has been infected, what breed of cat (some breeds are more susceptible to infections), etc. Let me know if this is helpful!