Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I adopted a kitten yesterday.

Customer Question

I adopted a kitten yesterday. He has been sleeping constantly, vomiting, not eating and has had a couple bouts of diarrhea. I took him to a vet earlier today who gave him fluids and prescribed him cimetidine as well as giving him Hills Digestive Care food. He had a couple of bites of food when we got back from the vet around 3pm, but has not eaten since. He has thrown up once and had two bouts of diarrhea since then (it is now 11pm here). I care about this poor kitten but I cannot afford to bring him to an emergency vet clinic. I have a low dose of prescription Xanax for myself and have read that Xanax is sometimes used in cats and kittens to increase appetite. Would it be safe for me to try giving him a very low dose of Xanax to see if that helps his appetite and vomiting?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He weighs 1lb 8oz
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When you adopted Oliang, did you keep him on the same food he was eating? 2) Was he a shelter adoption? Rescue? 3) Do you have a copy of veterinary records given to you by the adoptive agency to share? 4) Any blood in the diarrhea? 5) What milligram strength is the xanax?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This question was answer hours after I asked it )despite adveritising answers in 30 minutes). I have already consulted a reputable vet that didn't try to take my money on false pretenses. Please refund my money in full or I will report you as fraud to the BBB aas well as to my bank.