Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Will giving my cat kitten food help her to lactate more so

Customer Question

will giving my cat kitten food help her to lactate more so the kittens can get enough milk
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i wanna make sure my cat lactates enough all the time in all the nipples so the kittens will get enough milk, some of the teets seem to dry up for awhile, how can i make her lactate more so the kittens can get enough milk, they keep wanting to eat alot throughout the days and a few a restless, she has 4 kittens, can i make it where all teets are lactating fully whenever the kittens wanna eat.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
also if i should give her kitten food whats the best brand to give her to give her the nutrients and stuff she needs to lactate and keep the kittens healthy and full, also i was wondering how long before the kittens eyes open, they are about 5 days old, a couple still have their embilocal cord how long before those fall off
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Thanks for your question. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How old are the kittens? The mother's natural hormones are very good about making the right amount of milk. She will make more milk when the kittens are 3 to 4 weeks old than when they are 1 to 2 weeks. Kittens tend to go back to the same nipples, so if there are 4 kittens and she has 8 nipples, there may be as many as 4 nipple the kittens do not use. Feeding her kitten food is a great way to be sure she is getting all the nutrition she needs to make milk. There is no one best brand, there are dozens of excellent cat foods on the market. Kittens eyes open around 7 to 10 days of age. The umbilical cords usually fall off by a week or so.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote! How are your cat and kittens doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Hi Cori,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Was my answer helpful? How is she doing?