Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat was missing few days and when he came back he

Customer Question

My cat was missing for a few days and when he came back he was acting not well. He would not come into the house, he would not eat (and he loves to eat - I put his food outside but has not touched it), he's slow acting - walks OK but slow, his hind area and legs are wet, and he meows and just looks at me like he's in pain. The one time I saw him outside trying to poop nothing came out. This cat is usually very affectionate, active (only four years old) and usually comes to me when I call and hangs out with me when I am outside. He now seems like he what nothing to do with anyone. What should I do? My vet office does not open until Monday morning.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Doyle has been feeling ill since he came home - I will do my best to help. I'm worried based on what you're describing that Doyle may have a urinary obstruction. Urinary obstructions are most commonly seen in young male cats. The signs include lethargy, painful urinations, a painful belly and can even progress to death if left untreated. What concerns me is that you see his back legs are wet - like he could potentially be leaking urine. It's also concerning that you saw him outside posturing to poop but not producing anything - cats take pretty much the same posture to poop and to pee, so it coudl be that he was straining to urinate. Cats who have a urinary obstruction are very painful in their bellies, and sometimes you can even feel an obstructed cat's bladder when you're feeling his belly - it's firm, hard, and painful when you touch it. Having said all of that, there is a long list of other possibilities that could be going on here. Having been missing, who knows what's happened to him in terms of trauma - falls, bumps by a car, fights with other animals - the list goes on and on. I know that your regular vet is not available until Monday morning, but it sounds like he needs to be seen sooner. This would likely require a trip to a local emergency hospital. I'd be happy to locate one closest to you if you provide your zip code or city. I'm sorry to say that I cannot help more directly tonight, other than to advise you that this could be an emergency situation.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)