Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Our 18mth old cat had yearly vaccination

Customer Question

Hi. Our 18mth old cat had her follow up yearly vaccination this morning.For the last few hours she has had diarrhea. She has only made it to the litter tray a few times. Other times she has ran into the bedroom to do it in the corner instead. Is this a normal side effect? Is there anything we should be looking out for? Can we help make her more comfortable in any way?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Belle. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. This is not a normal side effect after vaccination, but most vaccination reactions only last a day or so. Is she eating? Any vomiting? If she is eating, you can try adding some canned unsweetened pumpkin to her food for the diarrhea. There is no over the counter diarrhea medication I recommend for cats. Probiotics, especially ones made for cats like Fortiflora or Proviable, may be helpful. Can you take her temperature with a thermometer? Normal is 101 to 102F. If she is not eating, then I would be worried about dehydration. If her temp is 104 or higher, I would have her checked. If they are open today, you might call the vet that gave the vaccination and see if they are worried enough to want to check her. Let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have. I hope this was helpful!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote! How is she doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Belle. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
How is Belle doing?