Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

I have a week old kitten and she hasnt pooped in 2 days. how

Customer Question

i have a week old kitten and she hasnt pooped in 2 days. how can i help her to go. her stools before were hard.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: bubbles
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubbles?
Customer: i found her in the road last tuesday with her umbilical cord still filled with blood. she has been eating well and peeing and pooping daily untill the last few days. she eats the same, pees more but i cant get her to poop anymore.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're necessarily constrained by her age to do more than stimulating the elimination process by rubbing her ventrum (underneath) from chest to rear with a warm and rough cloth that mimics her mother's tongue. You can also gently insert a rectal thermomer into her rectum just 1/2 of an inch and jiggle it around. That often stimulates defecation and can also break up a minor impaction. We don't administer laxatives to one week old kittens. Thank you for rescuing Bubbles!

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?