Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My overweight cat has been vomiting today...I was away

Customer Question

my overweight cat has been vomiting today...I was away for 2 nights with a good neighbor feeding her (them...I have 2) Neighbor stated no problem this morning @ 9am. I got home apprx 3PM to find 7-8 small piles of undigested science-diet dry cat food, a hairball in one mess, a few small pieces of rose petal (had a bouquet on the table). Was hoping it was over, went out for 2-3 hours, now she has vomited again 3 times....clear with pink tinged. No fever that I can observe, no tachypnea, but still acting quiet.
Don't think she has drank much water, very little in the litter box...(no feces...only one small urine clump probably from my other cat) Wondering if it is safe to wait until the morning to see a vet or take her there now...I'm not loaded and really don't want to spend $$$$ if this will resolve in the morning. I am thinking it was something in the (probably dyed/enhanced rose) flower she nibbled on. Advice?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl Sophie. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be going on here with Sophie including anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to pancreatitis, or even a toxicity or poisoning. From what you have explained however, this is likely related to an underlying hairball issue, or from nibbling on the rose petals. Whatever the case, you are going to need to monitor your girl quite carefully for the next couple of hours if you can. For now you can with hold her food until the morning, then try her back on her regular science-diet kibble, but just a small amount to begin with. I would also recommend trying her on a hairball control diet given the amount of hair you found in one lot of vomit. There are also products you can purchase to help minimize hairball issues in your girl: http://www.1800petmeds.com/Hairball+Remedies-cat218.html - so do consider one of these longer term. Make sure Sophie has plenty of water available for now, and do encourage her to drink. If she can't keep water down, then she will become quite dehydrated quite quickly, so this would be reason enough to get her seen tonight. In the meantime, please keep an eye on your girl's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.As above, if she can't keep water down and continues to vomit, if she seems lethargic, or if any of the parameters above aren't right, do get her seen tonight, otherwise, waiting until the morning will be fine. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jeanine Higgins,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sophie. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,How did you get on with Sophie last week? Hopefully she is back to normal now? It would be great to get an update on her progress if you get a chance.Kind Regards,Dr E