Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

He's 14 years old. Has been urinating outside of litter box.

Customer Question

He's 14 years old. Has been urinating outside of litter box. Just this morning I watched him vomit in many places. It looks and smells like diarrhea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. He's been inside all night. He's very thin and lethargic. and we smell urine throughout the house.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mocha
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mocha?
Customer: We think he may be dying. He is a very obedient sweetheart and always has been. We've never had troublt with him other than hairballs.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.How long has this been going on for?When was the last time you noticed any stool from him?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The urinating throughout the house started last week. The vomiting that smelled like diarrhea was just yesterday morning, but there was a lot of it throughout the house. Kitty litter is not as used as usual. But it's hard to tell, because we have a younger healthy cat too.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the information. Whenever there is vomit that looks or smells like feces, the biggest concern is that there is a gastrointestinal obstruction. In older cats, fecal impaction is common and can be due to many different medical issues, such as kidney failure, megacolon, liver problems, inflammatory bowel disease, etc. There may also be a gastrointestinal tumor as well. The urinating outside the litter box may be due to something like a urinary tract infection, kidney problems or diabetes. It can also just be due to him not feeling well from another medical issue. Sometimes it is the only way cats tell you that something is wrong. First and foremost, I would have your vet do a thorough exam on him to make sure he doesn't have a fecal impaction. From there, blood work and a urinalysis would be necessary to rule out some of these other medical issues. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John