Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Our 16 year old cat has a patch on his neck where the fur

Customer Question

our 16 year old cat has a patch on his neck where the fur has come off. No rash, mites or bleeding is present
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Have you noticed your cat scratching at that area on his neck? Does he go outside? Does anyone (pets or caretakers) currently have any skin lesions? Is he currently on a flea-preventative program? Can you upload a photo(s) of this patch to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no scratching. he does go outside and we live rural/a lot of birds visit our yard. We have two other cats w/ no problems. This cat (16 yr/old Bombay) recently diagnosed with stage 2 kidney disease. We changed his diet to Hills kd. He wouldn't eat his food when we tried putting oral meds in it, so we quit and cut back on protein food. He's thin but no abnormality eating, drinking, eliminating. Can you recommend a topical until we get him to a local vet (3-4 days waiting)?
We're digital dinosaurs, so answer by e-mail. Can't give you a photo, sorry.
I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers outside of this venue. Please stay in this conversation. The only topical I would consider at this time would be an antifungal in the case that he contracted a ringworm fungus from the outside soil. Such a fungus can present as only missing hair with little or no changes in the skin. You can see how an over the counter foot fungus cream containing miconazole or clotrimazole affects that area. It's just as likely that the hair was abraded away by contact with another cat or object and no treatment is necessary except the tincture of time! Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he's doing much better. We got the ointment and it seems to be helping.
thanks!!
Thank you for the good update! I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.