Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is recovering nicely from ten teeth removed. He used

Customer Question

My cat is recovering nicely from ten teeth removed. He used liquid anti inflammatory medicine for two days but didn't need more. However..... He never had acid reflux before. Now he does though he fasted before Anastesia and was not on his side during the procedure. Eating now is a big to do. He eats a few bites and then fetches slightly and a slight amount of bile comes up. He is retaining most of the food but I can't forever guard him and pace him and he is still getting less food than I know he wants. I've been told five milligrams of pepsid may help. We are a handful of days out from the surgery. Could this be temporary if not there before and what should I feed him? Since he has few teeth I've been doing mushy pate but is there an over the counter brand of food that will help control this problem?i prefer not giving the pepsid but if it will mean not guarding his eating to control the reflux that would be good. I pace a couple bites and then a rest because I don't like the bile thing and it happens less when I do that but I'm hoping its temporary. Any feedback? I can't do further tests at this time as the dentistry was necessary but costly! Help!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.
Dear *****,I am sorry Mac is having trouble after tooth removal. His poor little gums most likely hurt.Pick up all dry food and any wet with pieces, chunks or shreds.Feed him only smooth, pate canned food or human baby food with no onion or garlic.For the next 48 hours feed him chicken or turkey baby food. Add one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine) to one tablespoon of baby food every 12 hours.http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.htmlIn 48 hours his gums should heal and his tummy should feel better. I would then stop the pepcid and feed smooth pate food.Please let me know how Mac is doing.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri