Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is losing weight. has mucous in her mouth. she is

Customer Question

my cat is losing weight. has mucous in her mouth. she is eating n drinking.. but has a loss of energy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you able to look in your cat's mouth? Can you tell if she has dental disease?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked. It looks more like a one would look with a funny nose.. She had a liter of 4 kitten in the start of March.. De worked her. She eats but today had just laid around.. Gave her runs mixed with left over powered kitten milk. She had always been skinny
How old is she? Is she an indoor or outdoor cat? If she is not spayed one thing I would be worried about is if she may have an infection of her uterus also known as pyometra. This can sometimes happens a few months after giving birth. Are you seeing any discharge from her vulva?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inside only... Not spayed.. No discarge.. She is 3.. She has always been skinny.. She uses the liter box fine.
Okay thanks for the additional information. Is she up to date on her vaccines? Has she ever been tested for Feline leukemia or FIV? Are there other cats in the household. If she has always been skinny and has mucous in her mouth then you may also consider some type of infection as well. Does she seem warm to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nit warm.. Yes up to date on shots . yes other cats in house.. She is the only one and she has always had leaky eyes.. Shut some days n need to clean n get medicine on them..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is lethargic since about noon.. Just sits.. She did eat..
What medicine is she on for the eyes? Is she coughing at all. If she has an underlying infection then she may need to be treated with some type of antibiotic to help her out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No coughing . medicine is called terramycin. Have not used it on her in about a month..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont have a job at this point.. So a vet would n pricey
Oh ok since a vet is not an option, you may want to try to see if you can get her temperature by using an ear thermometer which you can get from a drug store . If her temperature is high then you may want to ask your veterinarian to see if they could write you a prescription. You may minimally have to pay an office visit fee but at least the expense of the medication may not be an issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Husband used to worm with tigers. Went to zoo school. She does not have a fever.. Anything else we can for her
I am sorry it would be difficult for me to determine what else you can do for her since whatever her problem is can't be determined with out me doing her exam on her since her signs are very non-specific. She can be lethargic for multiple reasons she may eventually need to be seen by a veterinarian if she continues to be lethargic. Since I can't help you I will opt out so another expert can opt in to help.