Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

She's about 6 months old. Just noticed yesterday that she has

Customer Question

She's about 6 months old. Just noticed yesterday that she has VERY runny diarrhea. No diet or other changes. She acts fine, playing & frisky, and is eating and drinking well.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Josie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Josie?
Customer: we live in the middle of the woods with 3 large dogs. she was a feral barn cat for the 1st 3 months of her life.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Josie has had diarrhea, I will do my best to help. In a young cat like Josie, the most likely culprits for diarrhea would be intestinal parasites, viral or bacterial infections, or dietary issues. It could be that she ate something out of the ordinary or that her food doesn't agree with her. Diarrhea is a very nonspecific sign, though, meaning that it can be caused by a myriad of different diseases. GI parasites in particular would be what I treat for first in my own patients. I would choose a deworming product based on results of a fecal analysis, as there is not one single drug that would cover all the different worms or protozoan parasites. I also usually treat my patients with a high quality probiotic product like Purina's FortiFlora and a medication called metronidazole that helps firm up the stools. The FortiFlora is available over the counter if you'd like to try that. A broad spectrum dewormer is never a bad idea, but as I said, without performing a fecal analysis, it's a crap shoot whether you'd actually get the right medication. My suggestion would be to call your vet and see if she needs to be seen or whether they can just check a fecal and potentially prescribe some medication for her.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara