Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is 2 yrs old and he got neutered when he was six

Customer Question

Hi , my cat is 2 yrs old and he got neutered when he was six months.
The last couple of weeks he has been acting weird as in always asleep and doesnt eat much and no stool , so i went to My vet and he told me that he has a bladder infection and yes it was hurting him and the vet gave us levofloxacin, herbal pills for any stones & He was good for the last days
But today i just dont know
Whenever i carry him he head is thrown backwards like he cant hold up his head and he has a vacant stare
Also he keeps meowing in weird way whenever i carry him
I am afraid , could he be dying ??
I just dont know and i am scared
What do i do
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
Milky may have a bladder infection (although I didn't hear of any symptoms that would indicate such an infection) but Milky's head carriage, vacant stare, and vocalizing (a change in mentation/mental status) suggest encephalopathy (brain disorder). I don't believe he's experiencing an adverse drug reaction but, instead, he's demonstrating advanced symptoms that began weeks ago when he was acting weird, somnolent (sleepy), and anorexic.I would have Milky attended to at your earliest convenience but I recommend having another vet do this. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
(I marked your new post as a duplicate so you won't be charged twice. Please stay in this conversation.)Some brain infections can be treated and cured - toxoplasmosis, for example. The neurologic form of the virus FIP, however, is fatal. If Milky's brain is being affected by a metabolic process, we would need to clarify what that process is (a poorly functioning liver that's intoxicating his brain, e.g.) before knowing if he can be helped. The first step is having him examined once again and the examination should include diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Milky. How is everything going?