Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

I'm not sure but my cat may have eaten a 20 mg capsule of fluoxet

Customer Question

I'm not sure but my cat may have eaten a 20 mg capsule of fluoxetine. He is three years old and weighs 11 pounds. Do I need to rush him to the vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 8 months ago.
Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I understand that your cat ingested a 20 mg fluoxetine tablet by mistake. I can help. Fluoxetine safety margin in pets hasn't been firmly established but I can tell you that the lethal dose is 50mg/kg which is around 250mg. Your cat didn't come anywhere near this dosage. However you can see side effects at a dosage as low as 4mg/kg, which is right at 20mg. So I would expect to see any of the following: lethargy, agitation, Gi effects (vomiting, diarrhea), insomnia/hyperactivity or panting and even sleep disturbances. The good news is that none of these are life threatening and should dissipate within 24-48 hrs. Because of the low risk I am not recommending inducing vomiting with hydrogen peroxide because doing so increases the risk of aspiration. I am glad that your kitty didn't ingest more. Just keep this away from him from now on. : ) Does he have any of the above symptoms I mentioned so far? How long ago did he ingest it? - Dr. H
Just let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss about your kitty? Otherwise I would appreciate it if you would leave me a rating for the service I have provided today so that I am credited for assisting you with your concerns about your cat. Thank you. : )- Dr. H
I see you had a chance to review my reply. I hope that I was of help to you and your kitty and glad to save you an emergency room visit with the vet. Just don't forget to rate me please. Thank you. Best regards, ***** *****