Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

SHE HAS 4 DAY OLD KITTENS, HAS HAD RAPID RESP RATE SINCE I

Customer Question

SHE HAS 4 DAY OLD KITTENS, HAS HAD RAPID RESP RATE SINCE I "OBTAINED HER" SHE WAS A STRAY, ANYWAY SHE STILL IS BREATHING ABOUT 50-60 PER MINUTE. STILL EATING LOTS AND NURSING, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with Anyway She Still Is Breathing About?
Customer: I meant she seems to have rapid resp rate, about 60 breathes a minutes. I think I saw a little clear mucu drainage from nose. She is nursing 4 day old kittens
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Anyway She Still Is Breathing About?
Customer: she is nursing 4 day old kittens
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I assumed her rapid resp rate was due to pregnancy. She still appears to have labored breathing with nasal flaring with rate averaging 60+/minute. She does eat and drink and stay close to her babies and is nursing. She had small amount of clear mucus from nose,infrequent sneezing. I have no history on her and assume she has never had any vaccines, I took her home off the city streets. My concern is for her and the babies.Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
Jen, a respiratory rate exceeding 40 breaths/minute while asleep or resting isn't consistent with pregnancy or nursing. It's worrisome for respiratory compromise as is seen with pneumonia or a pleural effusion (collection of fluid in the chest cavity). She'll need to be checked by a vet who is likely to test her for the feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and feline immunosuppressive virus (FIV) - both are commonly found in "street cats"- and X-ray her chest. If fluid is seen in the chest cavity, a small amount is aspirated and analyzed. The fluid can be pus, due to inflammation in the chest cavity from the FIP virus or neoplasia (cancer/lymphoma usually), and, less commonly, blood or chyle.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.