CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 31 years of clinical experience, with the past 22 years being in a feline-exclusive practice.

Can I use phenothrin shampoo on my cat

Customer Question

can I use phenothrin shampoo on my cat
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 5 months ago.
Hi!I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.No, you should never use any products with phenothrin on cats. It is known to be toxic to them.We have much safer and more effective flea control products, and have had for over two decades.If you would like to discuss flea control other than phenothrin in your cat I can also help you with that. My guess is that you are struggling with a flea problem and need a game plan that will work.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes, explain
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've already bathed him with dawn, use the stuff behind the neck and even a half a capstar
I see that you are in Texas. Does Rusty go outside at all or is he 100% indoors? Do you have any other cats in the home? How about any dogs? If you have dogs or other cats, what flea products are you using on them (specific product names)?Does Rusty get a lot of itchy scabs and sores along his back and around his neck? Or does he just have an uncomplicated flea problem?I'll wait to hear back.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is an indoor cat along with1 more Ricky. Ricky( a short hair male) however, does not have a flea problem and also uses frontline.
Your comment about scabs around the neck is dead on, several. They are a little better now due to Dawn bath. Yes he also will occasionally have a sore on back from excessive itch and grooming. Ricky stays inside but Rusty will occasionally sneak outside for very short periods b4 found and yes we have a 100% outdoor dog. Fleas are not currently a problem in the house. I do need solutions but please inform me that this is an ongoing answer? If you are charging me every time that's ridiculous? Please advise. Thank you. Trey
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He's had a problem off and on with fleas for over 3 years. He and I both are tired of it. He has very long hair.
Oh rest assured this is all part of your original request. But I can continue to chat with you until we figure this out.I strongly suspect that, while fleas are at the root of his problem, he probably is one of those kitties we commonly see that is allergic to flea saliva, so even a single flea bite from occasional exposure can blow up into an itchy mess.It is a little harder to help a flea allergy kitty than it is a cat with simple flea infestation, but we can and do solve these problems all the time. It's just really really important for you to follow the game plan.Frontline is a great product but when we are dealing with flea allergy my favorite product is Advantage II because it kills the fleas before they have any chance to bite. Frontline is just a tiny bit slower and that can make all the difference. In order to ensure that there are zero fleas in the home from here on out you should treat both cats once a month with the Advantage II until the weather cools off again in the fall or winter (here in SoCal our worst months are Mar - Nov). It would not be a bad idea to also treat the home itself with a good premise spray (indoors) once now and again in a month. My favorite is Siphotrol Plus II Premise Spray - many vets carry it or can order it for you, but you can order it online via Amazon also. Like Advantage II, it is state-of-the-art for safety and effectiveness.In order for your yard to not be infested (which would allow the occasional flea indoors) you should also use a good product monthly year-round on your dog. I am just a cat vet so I don't know all the different dog flea products but Bayer makes Advantix and there is also Frontline for dogs - I know they are both great products. Now aside from the flea problem, which I think is most likely, there is also the possibility of food allergy in a cat with symptoms like Rusty's. Since fish is far and away the most common food allergen in cats, it's important to avoid feeding any food containing fish, whether it's fin fish or shellfish (and yes, tuna is fish). So I think aggressive, consistent flea control plus avoiding fish should give you a much happier, more comfortable kitty. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. The system will alert me when you respond.