Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My one year old annuttered male black cat is losing hair pigment

Customer Question

my one year old annuttered male black cat is losing hair pigment in spots all over his coat;whatcould be doing this?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Maurice. You've described vitiligo which is an asymptomatic condition that's characterized by one or more macular areas of depigmented skin (leukoderma) or depigmented hair (leukotrichia). Lesions are usually first noticed in young adulthood and often affect the nose, lips, face, buccal mucosa, and footpads. It's not common in cats with the highest incidence in Siamese cats. No treatment has been consistently documented in veterinary species; however, treatment used for autoimmune skin diseases (pemphigus and lupus) may be beneficial. The prognosis is good. This is a cosmetic disease that doesn't affect a cat's quality of life. The depigmentation is usually permanent but in some cats spontaneous repigmentation eventually may occur.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative haircoat to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as