Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our kitty is scratching so much he is getting little tiny

Customer Question

our kitty is scratching so much he is getting little tiny scabs, and has a small bald spot on his head. I bought an oatmeal shampoo with 23 dead sea minerals (?) and bathed him. I thought he was better, but he isn't. What is the dosage of prednisone one gives an 11 lb cat? Do I administer it as in the "pacs" where you give so many one day, less the next and so on? I feel like if he gets some relief from itching, he will stop re-injuring his skin. I am also going to change his food back to prescription, after having him on OTC food for about a year. Thank you,
Suzanne Canter
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Suzanne sorry to hear Buster is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. " What is the dosage of prednisone one gives an 11 lb cat? " : While they are very similar drugs Prednisolone would be better for cats than Prednisone, however in both drug forms the dose rate for allergic skin disease would be in the range of 0.1 to 0.3 mg per pound of the cats bodyweight twice daily. A lower dose would be better to start of with, but this is best gradually reduce, so in your case you may want to try : 1 mg twice a day for five days, then 0.5 mg twice a day for five days then 0.5 mg once a day for five days, then stop. 2. Follow this link for more in depth information how this drug is used in cats : LINK 3. While other diagnose are possible is is likely that your cat has some form of allergic skin disease, if this is the case then a course of Prednisolone, plus Malaseb washes twice a week, this is great for secondary bacterial and fungal infections, { You can get this from your vet or better pet stores or online via Amazon etc.} plus a change in diet could greatly help. However if this does not work or you note any deterioration then you would be best to have your vet check your cat over.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Church Lady,I am just checking back in to see how Buster is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his skin condition... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.