Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

I gave my Cat comforts 3 days ago. Last night I noticed he

Customer Question

I gave my Cat comforts 3 days ago. Last night I noticed he was trembling and moving extremely slow. Today he isn't moving much and has been throwing up white foam. He won't eat or drink.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your cat. Can you tell me, is it a male or female? Can you look at the gums and tell me if they are pink or pale in color?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is a 7yr old male and his gums are pale looking.
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Pale gums are a sign of a problem- either anemia (low red blood cells) or poor circulation. Has your cat been urinating? Any male cat who is acting ill we worry very much about inability to urinate (blockage of the urethra)... so do you know if he has been going normally?We can sometimes see GI upset and lethargy with comfortis, but it usually occurs within the first 24 hours, and we do not see trembling. I think this may be unrelated to the comfortis.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He has urinated but I don't think as much as usual. He also did drink water, but threw it up right after. I gave him comfortis last year and he vomited a little and wasn't as active for a couple of days. He doesn't feel warm but lays by the heater.
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.
If he his still lethargic and his gums look pale and he is vomiting after drinking water, these are all symptoms that are concerning enough that I would recommend a trip to the veterinarian for an exam. The problem with vomiting is that it is very difficult to treat at home, because if they are vomiting (espeically if vomiting after just water) then we can't really give any oral medication because it will just come back up and cause further dehydration. WE are pretty much limited to fasting and then slow reintroduction of fluid and food (article describing this: But in your kitties case, the combination of lethargy, pale gums, and possible increased temperature are all concerning. I truly would recommend a visit to your vet for them to look at his gums, if they are pale, perform bloodwork, and they can give him a shot to help stop the vomiting.
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.
Please let me know if you have additional questions. If you do not, please take a moment to click and rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you, ***** ***** know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.
Just wondering how your kitty is doing?
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay