Dr H
Dr H, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at RAH
93727516

Normally super active 5 year old female tabby today is not

Customer Question

Normally super active 5 year old female tabby today is not eating, moving little. Sleeping but curled, not sprawled out.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr H replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. H, a companion animal veterinarian happy to assist you today.I'm sorry to hear your cat isn't feeling well; not eating and sleeping more can be some of the subtle signs that cats show us they're ill. HOw is she drinking? Is she still urinating and defecating? Cats can become seriously ill if not drinking or eating normal amounts within a couple days. For now, there are a few things you can check to evaluate her health:For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:Mucus membranes - lift his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark, deep red color.Capillary Refill Time - this measures blood perfusion. Test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency vet.Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency vet. Normal number of breaths per minutes is 20 – 30.If she continues to not act normally, or if there are problems as noted above, I'd advise you take her to your veterinarian in the next 24 hrs, where they can check her hydration and do blood tests that may feveal the underlying problem. You can encourage her to eat and drink by offering diluted tuna water (drain the juice from a can of tuna and add water) and tasty foods like canned cat food or small amounts of cooked chicken or chicken baby food (1 - 2 tablespoons at a time.)If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. Gums look right and respiration too. Will offer food/water.
Expert:  Dr H replied 7 months ago.
Please keep me updated and let me know if you have additional concerns.