Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My cat is refusing to eat or drink and is very lethargic. He

Customer Question

My cat is refusing to eat or drink and is very lethargic. He had been lost for two weeks and then found again and was extremely thin. They gave Red to me because their new home won't accept pets and he's been very upset to arrive into a new home. I have been giving him water through a bottle and he can barely keep it down. He was "meowing" alot when he first arrived yesterday and now he appears really weak. What should I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 5 months ago.
Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am so sorry to hear about your new pet Red and his seemingly very poor health as of late. I will do my best to give you sound advice for his care, but first I have a few additional questions for you because lethargy and not eating or drinking can indicate a lot of different illnesses. Also know that cats in particular are usually masters at hiding disease so once they do show signs of illness they are usually really sick and in need of medical attention. There are just not a lot of overall get-well treatments available for cats in the home setting, but lets see just how bad Red's condition is currently to see if he is stable. Please take a look at Red's gums and let me know if they are nice and pink and moist? Or pale pink, pale-white?When was the last time Red ate?Has Red ever been tested for Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids? If so, when? - Dr. H
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Red's gums are a pale pink and he has not eaten in 48hours. He did try on Monday but he threw it back up. His nose is dry and I don't know his medical history.
Ok thanks for checking this. So he vomited on Monday and not eating for 48 hrs. More than 24 hrs without eating for a cat is considered a medical emergency unfortunately. Each day a cat doesn't eat will lead to fat breakdown in the body which can lead to fatty deposits on the liver causing a potentially serious condition called hepatic lipidosis. This is why cats should get seen soon if they are not eating to help prevent this from happening. The dry nose also indicates he is dehydrated and if he is vomiting everything by mouth he will most likely need injectable medications to get him feeling better. Also subcutaneous fluids to address his dehydration. Vomiting in cats can be related to just about any disease process as well. Does he feel warm to the touch as if he has a fever? You can also attempt a rectal temperature if he is a tolerant cat. This is the most accurate way to see if he has a fever. - Dr. H
Also how lethargic is he is on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being comatose and 10 being normal?
Are you still there?