Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My cat had a diagnosis of IBS 4 years ago. A combo of

Customer Question

Hi. My cat had a diagnosis of IBS 4 years ago. A combo of prednisolone and thyroid meds improved his condition. So much so, we didn't need the prednisolone. A couple of days ago he started throwing up again. Its not just a little bit, it's a puddle. Happens with very little warning. We started back on the prednisolone three days ago. Hasn't helped yet. Also giving him previcid at 1 meal a day. Any ideas? Thanks.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. Same food twice a day. Wellness, wet.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Roo. 16 yr old male cat.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rui?
Customer: Also gave him a b12 shot this morning. That was a part of the initial treatment years ago. .5 mg
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I understand reaching for the prednisolone and lansoprazole once again but I'm concerned that at 16 years of age there's likely to be more than one thing going on and prednisolone could be contraindicated at this time. My primary concern is still IBD but I have to consider that IBD may have transmuted into small cell lymphoma, pancreatitis is now present, and all of the degenerative disorders in an advanced geriatric - renal and hepatic insufficiences - as well as other neoplasia (cancer) may be present at this time. I would be more comfortable having a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests performed prior to administering anything more than the lansoprazole. A specFPL blood test should be included in the testing because it's most sensitive for detecting the presence of pancreatitis.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have Cerenia. Can I dose with that until I can get him in for blood work? Just a few days, I'm sure.
Yes, maropitant is reasonable palliative care. Please continue our conversation if you wish.