Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Started last night - she makes the sounds like she wants to

Customer Question

started last night - she makes the sounds like she wants to vomit, but then thick white mucus comes up. I tried to grab it but then it went back in her mouth. This morning she ate, but then she threw up her food. It seems like it prevents her from meowing right.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: smokey - 12
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: smokey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Smokey?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Do you think she is coughing to the point of retching/gagging? Or just retching and gagging?Can she keep at least water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?Any breathing changes or wheezing?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hi again,I have not heard back from you but do want to leave my thoughts about what you have told me about Smokey.Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. This is because while her signs sound to be affecting her upper GI, it is possible that we have a throat inflammation triggering her nausea secondarily. Therefore, we'd have to be wary of a potential GI infection, pancreatitis, ingestion of harmful items (hopefully less likely at her age); but also throat irritation due to esophagitis, tracheitis, or brewing cat flu. With this all in mind, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet), or we could use a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia – 0.25tsp every 8 hours) to soothe the throat and stomach at the same time. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut while also soft on the throat. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Smokey. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to see if we can reduce her signs. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach or throat that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication, cat safe anti-inflammatories for her throat, gastroprotectants, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello again,How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.