Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My 12 yr old male cat seems to be bleeding . is

Customer Question

my 12 yr old male cat seems to be bleeding for rectum. is this the end? Found Blood splatter around food & water bow land On wall. No other injury rectum is red from blod.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Any history of trauma? Does it appear to be dripping out of him?How much blood are you seeing? A spoonful, more or less?Is he passing urine and feces normally? Any straining like he needs to?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky? Any bleeding in the mouth?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No trauma. Looks like it squirted out. Splatter on wall and around bowls of food and water. Don't know about passing urine and feces, he goes outside. We have doggie door. Nothing wrong in mouth
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you,Now I am glad that it sounds like he isn't actively still passing blood and hopefully those gums are pink (since paling is a sign that the bleeding is severe). Though given the way it squirted, this does make me concerned that it is bladder related. This is because an arterial bleed (the bleeds that squirt) would still be active and squirting from him. The same would be likely with a traumatic bleed, bleeding colonic tumor, or if he had eaten a toxin (ie rat bait) that prevented blood clotting. But if we have a bladder issue (ie bleeding tumor, erosive stone, severe crystal issues or infection), we can see this be squirted or sprayed as they strain and that could give the appearance you have seen. Now with this all in mind, bleeding is often an urgent issue. So, if we aren't sure he is passing urine (since blockage is a feline emergency) and since we saw blood; we'd be best to have Dusty seen urgently. His local vet can determine which issue is present and make sure he isn't blocked. If he isn't and those more serious bleed differentials can be ruled out (or treated if found), then he may just need a cat safe anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud.Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your answers
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
You are very welcome,Best wishes for Dusty,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello again,How is everything going with Dusty?Dr. B.