Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My cat has a fungus infection on his claw area that is

Customer Question

My cat has a fungus infection on his claw area that is spreading. I took him to the Vet but she didn't diagnose this. My cat is currently on Clavamox 125mg, Buprenex for pain, and Entederm ointment. Is this the best course of treatment for this type of infection??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is another
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
HI this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you with this. First I must ask how you know it is fungal.....I ma not saying it is not but there are many things that can occur on the claw that are not fungal. So, fungal infections can occur , so can bacterial , so can autoimmune like Pemphigus and so can neoplastic or cancerous lesions. Having said that I will look at the picture but must let you know that these things cannot be diagnosed by simply looking at them. Usually cultures + or minus biopsy is required toget definitive diagnosis.....I am going to view the pics now.....give me a few minutes...
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well that is a really bad situation and you need to see a vet and get a biopsy asap!!!! That very well could be cancer and right now is my highest differential . The infection is probably simply secondary.....I am standing by for questions......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw, the black area is much smaller than it was on last Friday.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Pleas see my answer above.....this is very serious......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just noticed that it was spreading to his nails on both sides.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
You are going to have to have a biopsy, and cultures to get this one figured out. I have been in practice over 26 years and trust me when I tell you get this done asap.....
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I am standing by for questions......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what the Vet said but she wanted to try the antibiotic first before having me spend so much money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get my cat declawed
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I would not do that......because of the risks involved.......as far as declaw goes, your pet may need more than a declaw...if there is cancer in that toe then an amputation will need to occur higher up and even if it is just infection you still may need an amputation.....of the affected toe (s)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are my options if I don't want to spend money on treatment for cancer.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
The way this would be handled even if it proves to be cancer would be amputation of the digit.....if it is cancer the sooner this is done the better because it may not spread.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the fact that the black area is getting smaller isn't any indication that it fungus infection?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
No......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the vet perform the amputation if needed??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be speaking with the vet today.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Most vets can.... you will have to consult with your vet to see if they are qualified to do this. Just ask her...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it comes out that it isn't cancerous than what??
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Whether it is cancer or infection the source of the problem will be removed with amputation. If it is infection they do not usually clear without amputation....if it is autoimmune then she can trea tfor that....anyway you cut it you must have a biopsy and if it were doing it I would remove all of the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have her send the culture for biopsy today. Thank you
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Also your pet needs bloodwork and xrays of the chest and preferably abdominal Ultrasound before surgery....or you can look for spread after surgery if you choose....discuss with you vet.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Your pet's toe will have to be amputated before biopsy can be done......do you have any other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well best of luck to you.Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question. Thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need additional help once you get pathology results......Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to provide follow up answers. Thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
If you don't mind I would appreciate a rating for my service. Thank you, DRB