Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I found this worm near my cat that just had fleas. What is

Customer Question
I found this worm near my cat that just had fleas. What is this?!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. It is difficult to tell because it is so small, but it looks more like a flea larva to me. I would need a dissecting microscope to get a better view, but it isn't a worm of any kind. Flea larvae eat tapeworm eggs that may be in the feces. Tapeworm segments are visible and look like oversized pieces of rice that are flat and undulate when they move. I would be looking for any of those. Otherwise, I would treat your yard and home for fleas. Those larvae make up a much larger portion of the flea population than the adult fleas. They are just much harder to find. If not a flea larva, it would most likely be another insect larva. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.