Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

Started yesterday. Sneezing and coughing up some phlem. Ate

Customer Question

Started yesterday. Sneezing and coughing up some phlem. Ate last night but didn't eat this morning. Can't breath very good thru nose.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jake and he's 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jake?
Customer: Yes, he's overweight. He's a domestic short hair and should weigh between 8 and 12 lbs. He's 16lbs.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. There are a couple things that may be causing Jake's symptoms. The most common is an allergic reaction to something possibly in the air. This is treated with Benadryl 15 mg every 12 hrs for 7 days. This will help clear his congestion even if he has an infection of the Upper Respiratory tracts. If Jake does not respond to this, then take him to your vet for an exam and testing. This may require antibiotics. His weight may be an issue so it is best to have your vet run lab work as well as an exam. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****