Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Kitten eats a little, not really sold poop. been feeding pumkin

Customer Question

kitten eats a little, not really sold poop. been feeding pumkin to help with diarhea, right after given deworming medicin.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** How old is Andy exactly? Is he eating well? How long has the diarrhea been present?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Andy is probably about almost 2 months old. He & his 3 siblings are strays that were found on our Naval base. His siblings are about a pound or more and they all have very good appetites. He is between 10-11 oz and will eat a little here and there.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry I forgot to mention that the diarrhea has been present almost as soon as we found them about 3 weeks ago.
Thank you for that information. I had to go off line late last night, so I'm sorry about the delay. Is Andy eating as much as the siblings? Are they all seeming to grow? Are they active? Is your biggest concern / question about how to deal with the diarrhea?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We had him euthanized this morning. When we went in he was just laying on his side totally unresponsive. So far his siblings are doing fine. They're eating & playing. But they still have issues with diarrhea. When we give them pumpkin their stool firms up. We're keeping a close eye on them to make sure they don't show any of the symptoms that Andy showed.
I'm sorry to hear that Andy was let go this morning. With what you saw, it sounds like that was the best decision. I would consider taking in a stool sample from the other kittens to have the vet do a fecal evaluation on it to see if there are any intestinal parasites / giardia / coccidia that may be a part of the lose stools. Could Andy have had some infectious issue like feline panleukopenia that was at the heart of his getting so bad? At this point, good nutrition and good care with the other kittens will be key. I would definitely get them vaccinated when they turn 12 weeks old to help give their immune systems some protection.