Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My cat has been throwing up today, and I'm noticing he's now

Customer Question

My cat has been throwing up today, and I'm noticing he's now leaking liquid from rear end...a little bloody. Is this an emergency or should we see how he feels tomorrow.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nothing unusual as far as I can tell, same diet as always. His brother eats the same food and is perfectly fine.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Milo is 3 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Milo?
Customer: He usually liked to eat, and is my fat cat. He is not acting himself, lying down most of the time, but was interested in food and ate a bit when I came home. He is licking his butt often due to the fluid. Not super lethargic but definitely not energetic. He's otherwise been healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is he strictly indoors? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Did he get into anything?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1-yes, strictly indoor cat
2- no existing problems, he gets annual well visits
3- can't rule out, but nothing that I've noticed
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Chat ok for now
Friend, when we see blood leaking from the rectum this is a sign of inflammation in the colon. The vomiting is a consequence of the inflammation and whatever is causing the inflammation. Possible causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. Given the quick onset and the fact that he is slightly lethargic I would really want to rule out the ingestion of a foreign body. If you have access to ER vet I would have him checked tonight. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until he is seen by family vet in the morning: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We're at Vets- he has urine blockage. Thank you for the advice to bring him in.
Oh, so the blood was coming from the penis, not the rectum. Yes, very good you took him. Thank you for the update. Dr. Peter