Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.

My cat scratches her ears a lot and shakes her head. I think

Customer Question

My cat scratches her ears a lot and shakes her head. I think she has ear mites. Can I use a home remedy?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your kitty's troubles. Ear scratching can be caused by a number of things including ear mites and ear infection. Both causes create a black gunk down in the ear canal and extreme itchiness. The only real way to differentiate the two is with a microscopic exam of the exudate.You can try some treatments at home that may work for both causes. The first one is white vinegar. Dilute the vinegar 1:1 with water and drip into the ear canal until full. Massage the base of the ear to work the solution around, then remove as much as possible with a paper towel on the end of your finger. The vinegar acidifies the ear canal and can cause drying, so use once-twice a day. You can then apply corn or vegetable oil to help kill the mites and soothe the skin. Apply in the same way as the vinegar and then massage the base of the ear to work it around. Both treatments need to last 7-10 days. If there is no improvement after this time or she gets worse, consider a visit to the vet for a prescription parasitacide. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!