Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat has quick short breathing and has had a few fits in

Customer Question

My cat has quick short breathing and has had a few fits in the past 12 months and the left side of his face has dropped. Just looks poorly.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Bob
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bob?
Customer: Lost abit of weight I just put it down to his age we think he is about 13ish maybe older he was a stray we had him 9 years.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. With the seizures and facial paralysis, I would be worried about a CNS (central nervous system) disease in your cat. The most common causes of these signs are: brain tumors, strokes and CNS hemorrhage. The only way to definitively diagnose these, is with an MRI of the brain. This is usually done with a veterinary neurologist. The treatment depends on what is found. It's pretty limited in cats and typically aimed at decreasing the pressure on the brain and seizure frequency/ severity. Often times it's anti-seizure meds (Phenobarbital) and steroids (Prednisolone). I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?