Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My orphaned 3 1/2 week old kitten just vomited his milk

Customer Question

Hi! My orphaned 3 1/2 week old kitten just vomited his milk for the first time... Is it ok?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No! And it make a little mess but I don't mind at all. He's my passion. Anyways he didn't. He started his diluted wet food mixed with water 2 days ago, he eats(drinks it) perfectly, it's the first time he vomited his milk
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Snowy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snowy?
Customer: Apart from this episode, he's perfectly fine. He walks around, tries to imitate his siblings, sleeps ok, eats, pees and poops fine too.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, If this was just a once off vomit and your kitten seems absolutely fine now, then this is likely of little to no consequence. This isn't too uncommon, particularly when you are starting to move on to a diluted wet food. Try and stick with the feeding recommendation of the product you are using quite carefully including the number of feeds per day and amount per feed. If he vomits again several times today, then we would be concerned there is something else going on here - so if this occurs, definitely get him seen first thing in the morning. Form what you have said however, it sounds like he is otherwise absolutely fine. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer is it also normal that he wants to eat a lot? I feed him milk or the diluted wet food, and he wants more and more if I don't give him more food, he'll start sucking his thumb, quite strongly
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi again Yes - kittens can often have a bit of an insatiable appetite, so it can be hard not to give in and feed more frequently. If you are sticking with the feeding regime and quantities stipulated on the kitten products you are using however, you should be fine. As this is a little orphaned chap - he will also need to be dewormed. This can be done any time now and generally should be done every 2 weeks based on age. The amount to give varies dependent on his weight - so it's easiest to get him along to your local vet clinic and get help from one of the vet techs to get his treatment. Typically Panacur or a similar safe all-wormer is used at this age (liquid). I'm sure you already have plenty of material, but this is a very good hand out if you need more info: http://www.nycferalcat.org/BottleFeedingKittens-Legal.pdf All the best, ***** *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customerthank you! Once again, the thumb sucking is normal right? It got me a little worried but now I feel much better. After vomiting we warmed a nursing bottle with water wrapped him Ina blanket and put him in his bed with is stuffed animals (I know how important it is for him to be warm) now he's just sleeping, when do you think I should feed him again
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customerthank you so much for your help! Once again, the thumb sucking is normal right? It got me a little worried but now I feel much better. After vomiting we warmed a nursing bottle with water wrapped him Ina blanket and put him in his bed with is stuffed animals (I know how important it is for him to be warm) now he's just sleeping, when do you think I should feed him agai
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customerthank you! Once again, the thumb sucking is normal right? It got me a little worried but now I feel much better. After vomiting we warmed a nursing bottle with water wrapped him in a blanket and put him in his bed with is stuffed animals (I know how important it is for him to be warm) now he's just sleeping, when do you think I should feed him again
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customerthank you so much for your help! Once again, the thumb sucking is normal right? It got me a little worried but now I feel much better. After vomiting we warmed a nursing bottle with water wrapped him Ina blanket and put him in his bed with is stuffed animals (I know how important it is for him to be warm) now he's just sleeping, when do you think I should feed him again?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customerthank you so much for your help! Once again, the thumb sucking is normal right? It got me a little worried but now I feel much better. After vomiting we warmed a nursing bottle with water wrapped him Ina blanket and put him in his bed with is stuffed animals (I know how important it is for him to be warm) now he's just sleeping, when do you think I should feed him again
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi again - give him a few hours and then try him again. He should be absolutely fine. Try half the amount next time, back the the full amount the time after that. It isn't too uncommon for kittens to suckle like this - so that would be considered normal. Kind Regards,Dr E
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customerhello again! I'd like to ask if it's normal that he's still gagging?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi there - sorry I'm unable to carry out a live phone call. one of the other experts may be able to accept this request.If he is still gagging- no that is definitely not normal. This could be that he is still trying to vomit, but it could also potentially be that some of the vomitus has been 'breathed'. If he is constantly retching or gagging now, then you are best to play it safe and get him checked over by a local ER vet if you can.Dr E
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No he's breathing fine, when he wakes up he gags a little vomits a little then he goes back to sleep
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Right - I see. It's good to hear his breathing is fine. If has vomited a number of times now however, the worry is that he can very quickly become dehydrated. Hopefully there isn't much coming up at a time, but if this has occurred more than a couple of times now, you are definitely best to get him seen if you can.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He vomited just a little more like 1ml really. He's napping now, but still doesn't want to eat. Should I try to give him just water? His stomach is really small right now, normally he's a little more... Bloated
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Next time he is up, just try him with a little water. Hopefully he takes that ok - if not, then do get him seen. If he takes it fine then heads off back to sleep, then the next time he awakes, try him with the food again. Also ensure you are carefully wiping his bottom (as you likely already have been) to ensure he is toileting normally alongside this. The size of his abdomen will be directly related to the amount he's eating (or in this case not eating). All the best,Dr E