Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat is couching and trying g to be sick but nothing Coughing

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
JA: Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: FIA. SHE'S 11MONTHS
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fia?
Customer: No...well this is not like her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Coughing in cats is often due to one of a couple things:1. Asthma: Feline asthma will cause coughing, wheezing and occasional episodes of respiratory distress. It is diagnosed with x-rays of the chest to look for inflammation around the airways and hyper-inflated lungs. Treatment is with aerosolized meds- a bronchodilator (Albuterol) and sometimes a steroid (Flovent). They are administered through the Aerokat spacer- you can see how this works at 2. Heart Disease- This is diagnosed on auscultation by listening for a heart murmur and also chest x-rays to look for an enlarged heart. An ultrasound of the heart is the diagnostic of choice and gives you a better idea of prognosis. 3. Pneumonia- This is also diagnosed on exam and then confirmed with x-rays. Treatment is with antibiotics and oxygen supplementation as needed. 4. Upper respiratory infection/ laryngitis- if the chest is normal, then it's probably the upper airway. Those guys are treated with anti-inflammatory meds and antibiotics to clear it up.I would get x-rays and go from there. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?