Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat has had the diareah days, I have seen her

Customer Question

my cat has had the diareah for three days, I have seen her pick at food and drink a bit should I take her to the vet or wait a few more days. FYI she will be 16 years old in June
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any pre existing medical conditions? 2- Is she on any medications? 3- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No existing condition. No meds. Only other symptom is she is very loud about wanting more attention
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. 2- Change her diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.