Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

He is diabetic, and is 9 years old and isn't moving much and

Customer Question

He is diabetic, and is 9 years old and isn't moving much and not eating or drinking. He is also sneezing. He has been getting his insulin regularly
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Hoss
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hoss?
Customer: No, except that his body kind of shakes before he sneezes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14years and I'd like to help with your question.Diabetic cats should have a very good appetite. The diabetes actually increases their appetite so whenever they miss a meal it is cause for concern. There is a condition that can occur in diabetic animals called diabetic ketoacidosis. This happens when they get an infection (bladder most commonly, but with the sneezing this could be an upper respiratory infection) and it triggers an upset in their metabolism. This causes the liver to start to produce ketones as an energy source for the body. The problem is that ketones are toxic and make them very sick very fast. I am concern that this is what is happing in your cat. Sometimes you can smell the ketones on their breath. It smells a little sweet and a little like acetone.Diabetic ketoacidosis is very serious and needs to be treated aggressively with IV fluids and dextrose as well as other medications to balance their electrolytes. I would really recommend finding an emergency veterinary clinic that can see her today. The sooner she gets treated the more likely you will have a good outcome.I hope that helps, but if you have more questions, just ask. If all your questions have been answered then please rate my answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy