Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I think my cat has another pancreatitis attack right now,

Customer Question

Hi, I think my cat has another pancreatitis attack right now, she hasn't been feeling good for about a week and in the past several days she has lost her appetite and barely eating, I give her a water and food through the syringe. Sometimes she looks like she is totally fine and sometimes she looks sick. She throw up twice a day right now mainly with water and a little bit ob bile around evening time and early in the morning, not after eating, but about 4-5 hours later. Her stool looks solid brown. This morning was the only one lime that she had a loose stool, all other times she border line constupated. She has a lots of air in her intestines and it did showed on the X-ray the last time she had a pancreatitis attack. I have been trying to treat her the natural way this time and have been giving her Belladonna 6c one pallet 3 times a day for 3 days now, but even though it helps her for a little bit it doesn't stay that way for long, my question is do I give her more? I have red somewhere you can,but I am afraid to and I don't know how long can I give it to her, also, I gave her Nux Vomica before that and it only made her very sleepy.
My other question is can I give her other homeopathic remedies and which ones that will take her out of this attack? Also, I need to know the remedies to give after she gets out of this attack.
I don't want to bring her to the vet office, I don't see the need, all they going to do is put her on water and food IVs which I am basically doing now my self at home.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, her liver counts are elevated and has been for a year, last time when she had an attack they drew the blood and her liver counts were lower then the year ago but sh till elevated. The vet office put her on science diet ID food, but she hates it, so I've been slowly incorporating other goods into the science one to see if she'll like anything else, the instinct limited ingredients is the one so far she tolerates, so I have to mix a little bit of fancy feast into her food to make her eat a little bit. By the way, she even though she lost some weight she is still at 16 lbs which is still a little bit on a heavy side.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is her blood work from 2015 and this year, the one from this year is when she had an attack.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think the reason of her liver and pancreas sickness is because of her love of scotch tape and packing tape, she goes crazy and tries to chew and eat plactic, especially sticky tapes. I try to be careful and catch her, but sometimes she just get to it, like the times when we move, which we just recently did, about 3 weeks ago, I am sure she peeled one or two of the parking tapes and chewed on them.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is Juliette
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry for the wait. It does sound like she may be having a flare up of pancreatitis. Pancreatitis, IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) and Cholangiohepatitis all go together in cats. They are all part of an auto-immune condition. We typically treat them symptomatically with fluids, pain meds as needed and often times steroids to pull them out of an attack. I also like using Mirtazapine, an appetite stimulant. I give 1/4 of a 15 mg tab every 2-3 days in cats. I don't use Belladonna personally. I tried to find a published dose, but it doesn't exist. It's just used to effect by the homeopathic vets out there. The main thing here is getting food/ water into her until the inflammation goes down and the discomfort is over. If she doesn't tolerate syringe feeding or she gets worse, then I would get to a vet for injectable meds and appetite stimulants. In more severe cases, I like to use a temporary feeding tube to avoid food aversions with syringe feeding. Here are some nice links on the condition: I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She does eat a little bit and what she's not eating I feed her through syringe. Is it normal for them to be in the attack for several days? Also is there a medicine/remedy or herb to get all that air out of her intestines? She has a lot of air in, I can tell.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
No, it's not normal to have this many flare ups. It sounds like she would benefit from being on some Prednisolone. You can use an antacid to help with the GI upset- Pepcid- 1/2 of a 10 mg tab daily can help. Maalox or Mylanta are other options for liquids- 1 mL 1-3 times daily.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. The problem with steroids, last time she had it she got diabetes for 5 months. She is fine now, no diabetes, but it was tough when she had it. Any other suggestions? Can it be that she flair ups from trying different foods? I was trying to find lately a healthy alternative for her with limited ingredients to the science good that she hates. Could she Claire up from trying different foods?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, can I give her treats? And what kind? Those she eats no problem, even when she doesn't feel good
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
If we use low doses, anti-inflammatory doses, we can get the disease under control and prevent diabetes developing. When it comes to diet, I like duck and green pea for these IBD/ pancreaitis dogs. I would use the same protein in treats as you do for the food.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
You're welcome.