Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

I have 3 adult cats, 5 to 16 pounds, 3 to 6 years old. Having

Customer Question

I have 3 adult cats, 5 to 16 pounds, 3 to 6 years old. Having a problem with flea control. Used ZoGuard Plus topical, and sprayed furniture, etc. with Precor (?) roughly 3 weeks ago, tried to vac house frequently, to not much effect.
Have seen a recommendation to use the Topical product, and treat with a chewable flea/tic med at the same time. Is that advisable?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
That can be done, John, if the flea products are chosen properly but it shouldn't be necessary. The ZoGuard Plus contains fipronil and methoprene (Precor) but we're finding populations of fleas resistant to fipronil. You can choose another topical in a different class of insecticide such as the prescription Comfortis (spinosad) or Cheristin (spinetoram), a new over the counter flea collar that lasts 8 months (Seresto), or an oral over the counter quick kill product such as Capstar (nitenpyram) and are likely to then not need both a topical and oral product. In severe cases I recommend treating with nitenpyram every 24-48 hours for 4 weeks after treating the environment with the methoprene once again. You'll win this battle but time is of the essence. As it warms up, flea egg hatches rise exponentially. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.