Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My Siamese is 19 and is eating wet food 2 times a day and has

Customer Question

My Siamese is 19 and is eating wet food 2 times a day and has dry food also. She drinks a lot of water and eliminates frequently. She is not gaining weight. She does vomit often and has dry heaves. She still jumps up to where she wants to go and meows for food. I'm not going to take her to the vet at this point. Just wanted to know what stage you might think she is now? The vet told me that siamese,s can live to22
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now I must say that I am a bit concerned about Sushi. If she cannot gain weight, drinks a lot of water, passes a lot of urine (especially if its watery/dilute) and has some vomiting; this does raise concerns of underlying systemic issues. At her age, our top concern would be kidney disease, liver disease, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, or a potential growth (since tumors can steal nutrition and cause vague signs until reaching a critical state.Now I understand you do not wish to take her to the vet. In that case, I would suggest that you could still narrow down a few of these issues by collecting and submitting a urine sample to your vet. This can be collected by leaving Sushi in a non-carpeted room with an empty litter box overnight. The sample can then be taken to your vet without Sushi. They can check to see if there is any glucose/ketones in the urine to see if diabetes is present, bilirubin as it is a sign of liver troubles, and check its concentration (specific gravity) to determine if her kidneys are struggling. Depending on the urine test findings, this will help you rule some issues out and potentially be able to manage any of the above we find (as all can be helped by special diet and there are supplements that can also be of benefit. Otherwise, I would also advise some supportive care. Until you have the above checked, you can consider offering her a calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet or even canned kitten food. Or since she is drinking well, we could try offering a iquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure) to get more into her. As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite and help her regain some weight. Finally, since she has had some nausea (likely secondary to those bigger issues), I'd note that you can try her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.Overall, Siamese's can live very long lives but it does sound like one of the above age related issues is causing Sushi bother. Therefore, we can start the above supportive care to soothe her stomach and help her weight. Though it'd be ideal to check a urine sample to see if we can pinpoint the cause for her current signs and manage them for her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )