Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat. He's 9months old &very personable;

Customer Question

My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat. He's 9months old &very personable; he disappeared for the 1st time for about 24hrs. He appears to be injured. He can't jump up or down & when we pick him up to help him he cries out as if it's hurting him. There are no viable signs of injury. Any suggestions /ideas. Could we give him something for pain? Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I would make sure you look closely for any bite wounds. Pay special attention around the head/ neck, the limbs and over the butt area at the base of the tail. If you see any, they should be clipped, cleaned and then treated with oral antibiotics and pain meds. I would also make sure you flex/ extend each joint on each limb to look for any fractures. If noted, he should be seen by a vet. If you're unable to see a vet and you want to just give something for pain, you can give Aspirin- 1/2 of an 81 mg tab every 24-48 hours. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, that's helpful. I will treat him with aspirin & take him to the vet tomorrow when they're open.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
You're welcome. Happy to help.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is doing much better. No need to go to the vet. He slept alot & healed on his own. Appears to be back to himself.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Good to hear, thanks for the update.