Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat had not eaten week an a half, I took him to the

Customer Question

My cat had not eaten for a week an a half, I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with Pancreatitis. The vet gave him fluids, apatite stimulators and a Pepcid injection. this was two days ago, and he is scheduled back in tomorrow. he just woke me up meowing very loud and now he wont move, he is laying on his side breathing heavy through his mouth and drooling. should I contact there emergency number and get him in?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I would definitely contact the emergency vet. It sounds like he may have thrown a clot to a lung lobe. Cats with pancreatitis are more prone to throwing clots. This can lead to acute decompensation and respiratory signs. If the lungs are ok, then I would treat more aggressively with a feeding tube to get nutrients in and glucose/ electrolyte monitoring as I'm sure he's pretty metabolically depleted. It sounds pretty critical, but they may be able to pull him through with aggressive care. Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Steven,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately he did get a clot in his lung, the emergency vet was really only able to make him comfortable. So he could pass without suffering.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you made the right decision.