Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat ate chrysanthemums and is now vomiting what looks like

Customer Question

My cat ate chrysanthemums and is now vomiting what looks like watery blood. What should I do? All vets in my area are closed tomorrow, can it wait till Monday or should I take him to an emergency vet clinic?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. If you could go to an ER vet in the area, that would be your best option. They can give some fluids and injectable anti-nausea meds. If you can't get him seen, you can give an over the counter antacid like Pepcid (Famotidine)- 1/2 of a 10 mg tab every 12 hours. You could also try a dose of Meclizine- 12.5 mg to help with the nausea. These are both available over the counter. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I be concerned about the Blood or is that normal? There is nothing in the vomit it's just watery blood.
With multiple episodes of vomiting, we can see some blood in the vomitus. That's not too uncommon.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** give him alka-seltzer antagonist? Devolved and in liquid form? To help with the vomitting?
NO, I wouldn't give alka-seltzer. Pepcid, Omeprazole, Mylanta or Maalox- those would be my go to options for a cat antacid.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you. Should my cat be fine for a few hours till stores open?
Yes, that shouldn't be a problem.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
Hi Keira,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?