Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My kitty seems scared and withdrawn due to other male cats.all

Customer Question

My kitty seems scared and withdrawn due to other male cats.all are fixed but my cat is new and lost weight wont eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Fluff.aka frank
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your kitten?
Customer: No he was recently fixed and had all shots just new home. He used to be only cat but moved back in with my kids and they have two males and 2 females.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. How long has it been since Fluff/Frank has eaten? If the kitten has been anorexic for more than 3 days it will need to be attended to by its vet if only because it has become profoundly dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced and require supplemental fluids to be administered by needle. How old is this kitten, please? Was it tested for the feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and the feline immunosuppressive virus (FIV) before it was adopted into your home?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is only year and was tested and has only been 2 days .i see him take one bit here and there.but not enough in my option.
Hopefully he's inappetent due to the stress of a new home rather than illness. How long has been in your home?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
About a month in new home
That's worrisome. He should have acclimated by now. His vet will need to thoroughly examine him including a basic diagnostic panel of blood tests. Can you check his vitals for me?1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).2) Check his respiratory rate while at rest or, preferably, while asleep. He should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute at rest.3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!Please let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He just died.pretty upset so
Oh my goodness. My condolences.