Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

What meds can you give a cat with a cold? She's sneezing bad.

Customer Question

What meds can you give a cat with a cold? She's sneezing bad. Her snot is clear but she's warm.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Since Tinkerbell has clear snot (where snotty/yellow/green discharges would be a sign of bacterial infection that would require antibiotics), then supportive care would be the mainstay here. To start, since she is sneezing, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often cats don't like things held up to their faces. That said, you can alternatively make little ‘steam tents' with the kitty in their carrier and the nebulizer under a thin bed sheet.As well, if she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. You can also use non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist, etc) to clear her nasal passages. Tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. If allergies are suspect with her, we can try an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl) as it can help with feline allergies but also is a mild decongestant. A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.Finally, if you suspect that she might have feline herpes virus, then this can be a cause of the signs you are seeing. In herpes cats, we sometimes find the L-lysine (a nutritional supplement) can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter at vets, pet stores, and even online. They come as gels, powders, and as crushable tablets that can be mixed into food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.Overall, we do have a few options we can use to try to soothe Tinkerbell's signs. If we use the above and she settles over the next few days, we are happy. Though if this lingers, her snot changes color, or comes from just one nostril (a sign of something stuck up the nose), then we'd want to plan to have a check with her vet to confirm the root cause for this and dispense symptomatic treatment +/- antibiotics as needed to settle this for her. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for giving me advise about my cat. She's my fury baby and I want to help her feel better.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.I am glad I could help you do so and wish you both the best. :)Have a good weekend,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )