Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Titika (in/out door) 10 month old. Super intelligent, assertive

Customer Question

Titika (in/out door) 10 month old. Super intelligent, assertive character, spayed rescue kitty was attacked by a neighborhood bully cat. Severely traumatized, only two small physical wounds which were cared for. For two days, hid, eating changed, and her I.B.S. flared up. Took her for a vet check. She's ok. Nothing definitive.The change is that now she deficates on the beds In the house. Including on mom's bed on her pajama's @2:40 am. She cleaned it all up & 1/2 hour later did it on the guest bed. This evening, did it again on the other guest bed.
How do we help her, we're desperate. Mom is 85. She LOVES Titika.
Carolynn ***@******.***.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. This definitely sounds stress induced. The first thing I would want to do, is start a short course of a steroid. That is the best defense against IBD flare ups in cats. I usually go with Prednisolone for 3-5 days, then a short decreasing dose. The other thing I would consider is an anti-anxiety med like Elavil (amitriptyline). It can be nice for these cats. Lastly, you may need to keep her in a small room or bathroom for a couple days to get used to using the litter box- almost re-training her and then letting her out when she is using it normally. Hopefully that's not needed, but it can help in these guys on occasion. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.