Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

JA: . How can we be of help? Customer: My cat is 16

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: My cat is 16 years old and always been very healthy. I've noticed she is currently very constipated and has been for 2 days. I have some Coloxyl with senna tablets. Can these be given to her. Each tablet contains 50mg docusate sodium and 8mg sennoside 8.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Liesel
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Liezel?
Customer: She has always been healthy, absolutely no health issues. She is a burmese cat.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. For constipation in cats, I would just go pick up some Laxatone from a pet store. This is a mineral oil based medication to help with constipation and difficulty defecating. It's also used a lot for hairballs. The other thing that helps, is increasing the water intake. A good way to do this, is to get some canned food and add water to it to let her lap it up. If that's not working either, then an enema may be needed by your vet to get her emptied out. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.