Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My name is ***** ***** I had a Persian mom have 9 babies on

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I had a Persian mom have 9 babies on Nov 27th, 2015. I ended up losing 1 kitten out of the litter. I was wondering being I had to tie off the cords and she didn’t eat the sacs, and also had to bottle feed the babies after first week, is it possible that the kittens didn’t get the immunity colostrum they needed? Seems they can catch cold real easy and they have the thickest coats I’ve ever seen and they pant like you wouldn’t believe after a hard playing. Is there something that I should be checking or adding to their diet? What is a good eye wash for the kittens to keep from the staining of their coats?
One more thing is I was wondering what kind of supplement / booster I can give my kittens for their immune system to boost it being it was a litter of 9 kittens. I know that the mom maybe only ate one of the placenta at the birthing time, as I ended up cutting 8 of them. I think being me ended up bottle feeding that there was not enough colostrum to go around for the immunity of them?
Also, I have a client that is wanting to purchase a kitten of mine that is 22 weeks today. He has had Feline Leukemia run at his home in the past, the only cat he has now is a female that is 5 years old and had tested positive for it when it was a kitten and was quarantined for 30 days and retested. Test came back negative, so is it ok for me to let one of my kittens go to this home?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. As long as the kittens were nursing during the first week, they should have absorbed colostrum from mom. After the first week, they no longer absorb colostrum directly. After that, all the milk goes through the liver for processing. Kitten milk replacers also contain some colostrum, so 100% bottle babies still receive immunity that way. It's best through mom, but they can get it both ways. If they have chronic respiratory signs, that's more often due to chronic Herpes virus that comes out when they're stressed. You could do conjunctival swabs to see if they are carriers. As an eye wash, I prefer to use artificial tears (Genteal usually) and put a drop in each eye 2-3 times daily. This is good to help prevent drying out and staining of the coat. For the immune system, the best thing to help against viral pathogens is Lysine. I usually have owners give 250 mg twice daily. If the potential owner had a kitten that sero-converted to negative, there is no worry of contracting the disease. This happens on occasion in cats. They are no longer carriers or shedders of the virus. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So there is no way that the female could give the Feline Leukemia to the new kitten? Should their be a shot given before going to the new home? Also I have heard some bad things about kittens dying from the Leukemia shot, it this true?
For the eye wash I was just talking about the area around the eye for cleaning, but their is drops to prevent the discharge from the eyes?
This is the shots that i have given Fel-O-Vax* PCT+CaltciVax made by Boehringer. I have given the kittens 2 shots so far, will this help their immune systems also? It seems like they get the sniffles and sneeze a little when have windows open?
I attached a picture of them
So you think they are more stressed than not getting the immune system that they need? What test is that that i need to get?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I still waiting for an reply wasn't completely explained or maybe I don't understand the terms used.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
No, if the female is negative now, then it can't give FeLV to the kitten. The leukemia vaccine is recommended if the cats go outdoors. For indoor only cats, it's probably not needed. The vaccine is very safe. There are always reactions, but they are rare. To clean around the eyes, just use a saline eye wash solution. Drops in the eyes help prevent discharge in these breeds with prominent eyes.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Cute kittens!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK but are the shots given going to protect their immune and given 2 so far
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Those vaccines will definitely protect the kittens. They are the core vaccines that we give every 3-4 weeks until they are 4 months old.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gary for account purposes we need to cancel this I will be asking same question can you please grab that one