Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat ate alstroemeria flowers and is vomiting and very lethargic.

Customer Question

My cat ate alstroemeria flowers and is vomiting and very lethargic. I took her to the vet and they gave her fluids as well as a anti nausea shot and a anti nausea pill to take home but it isn't helping. I gave her pancake syrup as well as nutrical and also gave her fluids sub-Q. She just projectile vomited pure bile and alot of it. Her gums are white and it doesn't look good!!
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: Nothing I can think of she is 2yrs old about 15lbs and I gave her a little under 100 cc's of fluid sub-Q
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I have to say that I am very worried about your lass. While this plant can cause drooling, mouth/GI irritation, vomiting, and diarrhea; those white gums are a sign of severe anemia or low blood oxygen (which we can see with heart or lung issues) and an emergency situation. So, while the treatment your vet and yourself have tried were appropriate for the typical toxicity signs of the alstroemeria, I'd be worried she has eaten something else (ie rat bait) or that we have a bigger issue here.Therefore, with those white gums, we need to act fast. She should be taken back to your vet urgently. They may need to check a blood sample to determine how anemic she is, put her oxygen to ease any breathing problems, +/- consider a blood transfusion to help stabilize her. As well, if there is any chance of trauma (where she may have internal bleeding), we need them to find that and address it for her.Overall, this is a terrible development for her and isn't something we'd have expected from that plant. therefore, to give her the best chance here, we'd need to be proactive and have her vet assess her. Any delay and there is a risk that she could start to struggle to breathe and could collapse on us. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )