Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat has lost weight. His fur iso knotting (he short haired

Customer Question

My cat has lost weight. His fur iso knotting (he short haired cat) green gunk is coming out of his eyes. Has watery eyes n sneezes a lot. He has an appetite as usual. Any suggestions on what to do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is he drinking more than usual? 2- Is he strictly indoors? 3- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does drink a lot of water. He is an inside cat. I have 2 other cats as well. Alot of sneezing and watery eyes sometimes that green gunk discharges. He is loosing fur it looks more oily.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when an older cat is losing weight and drinking more than usual these are symptoms associated with an underlying medical disorder; this can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism (over production of thyroid hormone) and even cancer to name a few causes. The poor coat and lack of grooming (matted fur) is a reflection of him being ill. As far as the eye discharge, it is common when cats are ill to produce more mucus. However, the green gunk suggest there could also be underlying infection. In this case, to determine the exact underlying cause he will need to have a hands on examination by family veterinarian, blood work and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. For example, if he is a diabetic he will need insulin, if he is hyperthyroid he will need medication to lower his thyroid levels, etc. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. In the meantime, pick up over the counter in your local pharmacy eyewash and clean out his eyes with a moist gauze of all discharge, use as needed. Feel free to pour some of the eyewash directly into his eyes if needed. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.