Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a male and female ferret we bought my grandson 3 or

Customer Question

I have a male and female ferret we bought my grandson 3 or 4 yrs ago for Christmas. We have never had any problems health wise at all. They have both been fixed. The male (Bandy) has been coughing, sneezing sand just looks as if he has a cold or possibly allergies. I think he has some type of upper respiratory infection, and you can actually hear him wheezing at times. He's losing weight it looks like to me so I was going to take him in to a vet today but have been waiting on a contractor all day and didn't get to take him in as I wanted to. Does anything come to mind from my describing his symptoms, and do you think he will be ok until tomorrow for me to take him in then?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bandy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am worried about the weight loss, that is not usually seen with an upper respiratory infection. Is he eating normally? If you check his gums, are they pink in color, as pink as your female ferret's gums? If he is eating, and his gums are pink, then waiting until tomorrow should be fine. Has anyone in the house had the flu? Ferrets, unlike cats and dogs, can catch influenza from people. Usually they would be pretty sick, not eating, etc. I would have him checked out when you can, and since he is losing weight, I would consider a chest Xray. Until then, keep him eating. You can try putting a drop of children's nose drops on his nose. Little Noses is one brand you can use. Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you! I hope Bandy is doing better today.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
How is Bandy doing?