Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

Dr, I have to sister cats that are 5 years old; typically,

Customer Question

Hi Dr,
I have to sister cats that are 5 years old; typically, they for the most part ignore each other and one is typically clingy and the other very docile and independent. For the past two weeks, she is meowing at me a lot, whereby, before she meowed like 10 times a year. if I am in another room, she meows over and over and louder until I come out, she clings to me all the time, and I had to separate the two sister cats with the door shut because she is also going after her sister with big wide eyed pupils. She stalks her and my other one who is usually self-assured is now taking to hiding and petrified of her sister. It is like the opposite of who she was before - I am at a loss and this separating them in an apartment and coming home at night after work, I have to go from one room to the next and back and forth and I am so worried and I am not getting enough sleep either. Any suggestions on how a 5 year old cat behavior completely changed to the opposite of who she was the past 5 years? Thank you very much!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I obviously meant two sister cats, no to! Just upset and typo. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 7 months ago.
Hi, and welcome! I'm Dr. Barbara and I'd like to help you and Zoe and Khloe today.So sorry to hear about their "relationship" problem, and I hear your concern and your exhaustion! Very glad to hear that everything does check out for Zoe, and having her medically checked was as excellent start in trying to solve this change in Khloe.
I also understand that it is much more difficult to get Khloe to the vet, so I would like to check her environment for other causes of her behavior change. . . just in case! It is actually excellent that you have 3 litter boxes for 2 kitties, and that you feed them separately picking up the food after they're done eating. Did I understand this correctly?So, are there any other changes in your household like new people, new animals, new furniture, or a rearranging of furniture? Are you using the same litter boxes and litter as before? Any diet changes? Any new fragrances in your household? Any new medications for either one including flea, tick, dewormers or heartworm prevention?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes correct Dr. Barbara - I always feed them same time but separatly because they alwasy liked their space from one another - nothing new, not litter, not furniture, no frangrances, no changes I am aware of, same diet. My petsitter had gone away one weekend and I had to get my Mom with whom they're familiar with, my sister in law not in a long time came two days and she has a cat but that following Monday, they were their normal selves - it was a whole week later that this all started so I can't imagine there would be a delay. Khloe was diagnosed with asthma 3 years ago induced by allergens but I purchased two allergen machines to suck out the dust that people by for their human kids and it works fantastic. The part of Khloe that is also an odd behaivor is she normally wouold only let me and my fiance touch her and now she let my petsitter touch her and pet her this past weekend, while Zoe the one who usually comes out to say hi to her, hid under my bed when my petsitter went in to feed her ....I am so puzzzled.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, are you able to answer our follow-up?
I'm here and need to go through your response. . .be right back.
Thank you for the pictures! Both look quite healthy and relaxed in these pictures. Really can't say with certainty why Zoe is reacting that way with your petsitter, but perhaps Zoe saw or could smell on your petsitter that she had been petting Khloe and Khloe theis now Zoe's number one enemy. ????????Another source of stress for cats is new animals outdoors. Have you been aware of any new cats, dogs or wildlife that are near to your home?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are always strays but I am wondering if the people upstairs from me got a cat - I don't think so because I don't think they like cats as I recall when I moved in they mentioned the guy before us had two cats (body language and tone) I could tell they didn't care for cats. I was wondering if they sprayed something that is bothering Khloe? V
That's possible (spraying) of course.
Since there are really no obvious simultaneous, environmental changes, then it is time (as you noted) to have Khloe checked by your vet for any medical issues. Cats usually do better with top loading carriers, and if you can leave it in Khloe's vicinity for a day or two before using it, then she shouldn't be as freaked out by it. Also, it may help to cover the carrier with a sheet so she doesn't have lights and shadows flashing by here when you are driving.
The medical symptoms to notice are if she is eating normally, drinking a normal amount of water, defecating and urinating normally, and if there is any coughing, or vomiting and diarrhea.
Once your vet examines her, he will most likely do some blood and urine tests (like for Zoe).
One other thing to notice about Khloe is if she is walking, running and jumping like she always has. Back and arthritis pain could be causing her to behave differently.
I hope our discussion has been helpful, but if you have anything further, just let me know.Once you are satisfied, if you would please rate our chat, I'd appreciate that. . .this is the only way our administration knows that we have chatted.Thanks so much,Dr. Barbara
Also, we will be able to continue chatting even after your rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Barbara